When you are going to hire a hosting service to build your website for your small business then you need to know the basic things of web hosting to take a right decision.
Commonly, this choice to host your website depends upon the scripting language that is used in your website. If languages like PHP, MySQL, or Perl are used in your website then Linux server hosting is best for you. But if you are thinking for ASP Dot Net scripting language then you should prefer windows hosting.
Linux may not be the best choice, if you need some interactive facilities like chat or searchable database. Also, a Linux-based web server is not fully acquiescent with Windows technologies. If you are using any Windows-centric technologies like Visual Basic, then Windows-based servers would be the best for you.
Advantages of Linux server hosting
- Linux is an open source software product and thus it does not need the high licensing fees that other operating systems do; you can freely download and use it at no cost.
- A Linux website can easily be converted to a Windows website without much hassle. Also, the website can easily be changed as the requirement of the user grows.
- Linux web hosting is very economical as Linux is a free operating system. Usually, only the cost of distribution is borne by the host or owner.
Advantages of windows server hosting
- .NET technologies like ASP dot net VB dot net are available on this platform. If you have a website built with Microsoft .NET technologies then you will have to choose a Windows server hosting plan.
- If you need an enterprise class database there are some different features that run on a Linux platform but if you need Microsoft’s MSSQL database, a Windows hosting plan will be your best choice.
- Access Databases are only obtainable with a Windows server hosting plan. Access can only run on a Microsoft Windows platform and thus it is unavailable on a Linux hosting. If your site needs particularly this feature then you will have to accept windows server hosting.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.